Friday 25 May 2018

Author Spotlight: In the Heart of a Mustang - A #Novel with #Fantasy Themes by M.J. Evans | Renee Scattergood

Originally posted by Renee Scattergood:


Welcome to another Friday Author Spotlight! This week I have M.J. Evans visiting with her book, In the Heart of a Mustang. It’s not a speculative fiction novel, but it does have some fantasy themes. She has also shared a guest post about the healing power of horses, so keep reading!
The winner of numerous literary awards for her middle-grade and young adult fantasies and novels, M.J. Evans is also a life-long equestrian. She is currently working on her twelfth book: “The Stone of Wisdom-Book 4 of the Centaur Chronicles.” When she isn’t at her computer writing a story, you can find her riding her horse in the beautiful mountains of Colorado, or playing with one of her eleven grandchildren!

Connect with the Author


About the Book

“In the Heart of a Mustang” is an award-winning, contemporary, coming of age novel. Set in an Arizona ranch for troubled teens, this is the story of the healing power of horses. A teenage boy, HUNTER, bonds with a wild Mustang who he names SALLY. In the process of learning to train the horse, he learns about life and healing, forgiveness and patience, and all the wonderful things horses teach us.

Get it Today!

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo




Keep reading for a guest post:

Horses are Healers-That’s Not Fiction or Fantasy!
By M.J. Evans
I was born with manure in my blood! What I mean is that once I took my first breath outside the womb, I needed a horse. Some of you can probably relate to driving your parents crazy until they either let you take riding lessons or…better yet…got you a horse once they were convinced you wouldn’t kill yourself. I bought my own horse when I was thirteen and taking care of him certainly kept me out of trouble as a teenager. Decades later, and now a grandmother, I am still a horse-lover and owner.
A few years ago, I worked for PATH, Intl. here in Denver, Colorado. PATH stands for “The Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship.” While there, I learned that horses are truly magical…something I knew intrinsically but had never put into words. The stories of the miracles that took place at the PATH riding centers around the country came in almost daily, often bringing tears to my eyes. One autistic child, who had never spoken a word, got on a horse and started talking! Veterans who are suffering from the loss of a limb or PTSD have programs with horses that help them heal and find joy in their shattered lives. Children with cerebral palsy learn to improve their balance and coordination. Children and adults who can’t walk, get on a horse and fly!
As a former middle-grade and High School teacher, I was particularly touched by the programs for troubled teens. Many of these kids had never had a friend…until they met a horse. Many had never felt loved…until they met a horse. Many had never felt a purpose in their lives…until they needed to care for a horse. Many had always felt powerless…until they moved a thousand-pound animal through an obstacle course. That isn’t fantasy, but it is magical!
This was my inspiration for my only non-fantasy book. My Award-Winning, coming of age novel, In the Heart of a Mustang, is about a teenage boy who is sent to a therapy ranch in Arizona. He arrives with his suitcase and an enormous chip on his shoulder. It takes a wild Mustang and a wise, old cowboy to knock that chip off. Literary Classics Reviews said: “In the Heart of a Mustang is one of the finest books ever written for teens and pre-teens.” Grab a copy wherever books are sold and have a wonderful time at Promise Ranch!

No comments:

Post a Comment