Friday 1 June 2018

Author Spotlight: The Glass Girl - A #Fantasy #Novel by Kim Alexander | Renee Scattergood

Originally posted by Renee Scattergood:


Welcome to another Friday Author Spotlight! This week I have Kim Alexander visiting with her fantasy novel, The Glass Girl, from her series, The Demon Door. She has taken the time to answer some questions about herself and her writing, so keep reading!
Kim Alexander grew up in the wilds of Long Island, NY and slowly drifted south until she reached Key West. After spending ten rum-soaked years as a DJ in the Keys, she moved to Washington DC, where she lives with two cats, an angry fish, and her extremely patient husband who tells her she needs to write at least ten more books if she intends to retire in Thailand, so thank you for your patronage.

Connect with the Author

Get a Free Book!

About the Book

Love opens all doors…but betrayal locks them forever.
Newly blessed (or cursed) with wings and fire, Prince Rhuun of the demon realm of Eriis sees hope for his life on the human world of Mistra with his fierce human lover, Lelet va’Everley. She literally went to hell and back to save him, and she’s not about to let anything—or anyone—ruin their perfect future.
All too soon, the claims of family, duty, and justice force Rhuun and Lelet to confront new griefs and old mistakes as they attempt to restore balance to the throne of Eriis. But, with every jealous rumor and each vengeful whisper, friends turn, family schemes, and forgotten enemies creep from the shadows.
Treachery in Eriis and betrayal in Mistra jeopardize what Rhuun and Lelet have fought so hard to build, threatening to tear apart the two lovers, their families, and even their worlds.

Get it today on Amazon!


Keep reading for an interview with the author:

Did you have a hard time sharing your work with the public?
It was the opposite! When I began writing this series I was so excited that I wanted to share it with everyone. (I can feel all you weathered old writing vets cringing.) The result was essentially feeding people unbaked cake. And no one wants to read eighty versions of the same story (except my editor Carly, and I pay her for it!) I had to learn to wait for a story to fully develop before showing anyone.
What genres do you write?
I went from writing for the radio, where everything is pared down to the bone to writing epic fantasy. The exact opposite. It took me a while to allow myself to do the descriptive world-building that’s at the heart of the genre. Now I live for decorating rooms and coming up with holidays and inventing fake books, but at the start, I wrote nothing but dialogue.
Is there a genre that you’ve been wanting to experiment with?
I recently decide to try a paranormal romance set in my home city of DC, first person, contemporary, fast-paced–it was a delight to write (and I hope to read) and in fact, I’m working on the sequel right now.
If you could be one of your characters for a day, who would it be and why?
I would probably like to step into Lelet’s shoes. She’s the heroine of The Demon Door series and she and I both have a total mad crush on Rhuun, the hero. She’s a lucky girl, is what I’m saying. Of course, she does get kidnapped–twice–get poisoned, betrayed, have her heart broken and literally remake her own body, but it’s all in a day’s work when you’re in a fantasy novel.
What is the best compliment you’ve ever received as an author?
Someone in a review said my work reminded them of Katherine Neville (The Eight) and I fell down in a dead faint.
What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
Write to finish. I think it was Neil Gaiman who said it, although it’s not an uncommon piece of advice. You can’t fix what you haven’t written. Finishing also gives a sense of legitimacy. Here is a thing–I saw it through to the end. It’s not a hobby.
What made you decide to self-publish?
I had a traditional publisher and two weeks before my book was slated to launch, they went under. Mercifully, I got my rights back. I decided to go ahead and self-publish since the book was already done and ready to face the world.
What is the best thing about self-publishing?
Being in control of every aspect of the business. Not coincidentally, this is also the worst part!
What are you working on now?
I’m working on the release of the third book in The Demon Door series, The Glass Girl, and starting to block out the plot of the final book in this series, which will be called The River King.
What inspired your current work?
The first book was setting up the two warring worlds; the demon kingdom of Eriis and the human world of Mistra, and introducing the large cast of characters. The second was action, romance, and adventure. This, the third, deals with the consequences and fallout.
What was the hardest part about writing your latest book?
The results of the action in the first two books have led to some dark and dangerous times for my characters. There’s heartbreak and tragedy, and while I am not alone in loving to torture my characters (so I can reward them later with personal growth) it was a tough headspace to inhabit for two years. I’m looking forward to finishing the series with nothing but happiness and good times for everyone! (Maybe not everyone…)

No comments:

Post a Comment